Tuesday 11 November 2008

More tears, short notice and a trigger word

So yesterday, I did the ceremony of a lady whose only child is abroad and unable to come home.

I got all choked up again. Tomorrow is the 2nd anniversary of my Mum's death and as I was standing there reading "and our thoughts go out to him..." I was thinking how sad it was not to be able to be at the funeral of his mum. There had been no estrangement, just physical distance and it caught the back of my throat as these things sometimes do.

Things will be calmer after tomorrow, I'm sure.

When I got back to the car, there were two messages on my mobile to call an FD who doesn't use me very often. I was keen to speak to him. I was less keen when he said "this is really short notice."
"Okay, when's the ceremony?"
"Tomorrow."
"Blimey."

But, I did it. I met the family yesterday evening (nice people, a few anecdotes to make it a bit special) and this morning we did the ceremony. I won't claim that it was the best funeral I've ever written, but it wasn't bad and, most importantly, the family were pleased.

However, I made an important discovery about myself, as again, I started to get choked. I put in an explanation about why we were having a non-religious ceremony (yes, I know, I've never heard a vicar explain why we're having a C of E one!) and I finished that off with "my name is X. Piry and I'm honoured to be conducting this ceremony today".

And that was it.

The word "honoured" I haven't always used it, and it hasn't always set me off, but the last few times I've said it, I've got choked up. So there's my answer. In the words of a character from a Guy Ritchie film, I've got to "leave it out" and I'll hopefully retain a little more composure.

2 comments:

Charles Cowling said...

It's a tough one, this business of handling emotions. If you develop a relationship with the family you're bound to empathise with them on the day. I find I have to get really hard on myself, and cross, too. One tip that always helps: if you feel yourself starting to well up, DON'T LOOK AT THE FRONT ROW! Whatever happens, a little bit of over-empathising is always going to go down better than brittle indifference. Yours is much the better species of error. And, dammit, death is sad stuff!

It sounds to me as if you are doing really well.

X. Piry said...

Thanks for your encouragement Charles (and sorry it's take so long for me to reply - the other job's been getting in the way).