Thursday 11 November 2010

Some lighter moments

I whinge a lot on this blog.

That was not my intention, when I first started to write it.

I thought (and it has been proved) that I would meet a lot of fascinating people, and have lots of stories to tell and so, as a little light relief, I'd like to share a few - silly anecdotes that have made me smile.

There was the gent who tried camping. His first attempt at pitching the tent was to put it over a sewer. His second attempt resulted in the tent being set alight, so he resolved, everafter to "stick to Pontins".

There was the lady who saw a shopping list for her mother in law and added to the bottom "Mills and Boon novels, to improve her intellect."

But I think my favourite is the gent who, many decades ago, used to get together with work colleagues every couple of months, to watch.....films for discerning gentlemen. This was back in the days of cine projectors, and so this gent hung a white bedsheet at the window to use as a screen. The lads arrived, the beers (probably Double Diamond, or Watneys Red Barrel - we are talking that era) were opened and they all settled down for an evening's entertainment.

After about half an hour, there was a knock at the door, with a couple of policemen outside. When this man had hung the sheet, he hadn't drawn the curtains first and so he the sheet was acting as a screen for everyone in the road!

Back to the seriousness later (I have a difficult funeral tomorrow, which I shall no doubt share at a later date), but this is just a bit of light amid the shade.

Every now and again it's important to put the "fun" into "funeral".

4 comments:

Charles Cowling said...

Ordinary lives are filled with all manner of hilarity and loveliness!

X. Piry said...

Thanks, Charles.

Families often say "Oh, I bet you could write a book...." But I wonder how they would feel if I did?

Charles Cowling said...

It would be a James Herriot-y sort of book, wouldn't it? But, as you say, how would they feel..? Which is why one probably never will get written. Shame if not. People are very interesting at a time like this.

gloriamundi said...

Nice fun, thanks.
Incidentally, why shouldn't you "whinge?" (Your description, not mine) It's your blog, help yourself! Sometimes a bloody good whinge helps, a lot, no? And sometimes it sets a thought going for others.