Monday 14 June 2010

Standing on the shoulders of giants

Charles had a great guest post from Rupert.

Gloria, wishing to give it the full response it deserved, put a fab post on her blog.

I was going to make a comment, but found that, like Gloria, I had a lot that I wanted to say. If anyone is interested, here's my tuppence worth. Thanks for the debate. It isn't always comfortable but, my goodness, it's fascinating!

So, although Gloria wants to move on from funerals, I'm happy to stick with them for the time being, if anyone else wants to join in.

Rupert’s post was fantastic, as was Jonathan’s response (I was glad and relieved to see the “we can’t all do it the same way”). This has been extremely thought provoking and I hope that we will all produce better ceremonies on the strength of it.

1) Titles – according to my dictionary (a Collins, sorry, I was never posh) definition 6 of the word “minister” is “a person who attends to the needs of others, esp. in religious matters”. So why not be humanist/atheist/secular/free-thinking ministers? We often get called it anyway, so why not adopt it?

2) Combining celebrancy and undertaking - I too would struggle with many aspects of undertaking, and agree that not many could do both roles. Good for Rupert that he can.

3) Letting families see the words before the ceremony - When families are feeling out of control, as many are after a death, they like to have some control over what we’re doing, and viewing the words can be a way of giving that to them. I rarely send the whole script, but I often send the tribute/eulogy part. However, at the end of the meeting, I usually go back through my notes. Not only can I check that I have details correct, but the family can also understand that they have been listened to. Most find this extra ten minutes or so at the end of the meeting very reassuring.

4) How honest should we be? - I agree with GloriaMundi and Jonathan that the euphemisms can be useful. Perhaps we are colluding and I always resist turning the deceased into a saint, but the funeral doesn’t have to be the time for hanging out dirty laundry, unless the family are finding it cathartic and useful. Yes, we can observe what we see and, as others have stated, the balance is everything.

5) Humanists are Anti-theists according to Rupert. Gloria, you are so right. We’re not all Richard Bloody Dawkins! (Okay, your response was much more eloquent than this). Many humanists hate fundamentalism in all of its forms.

6) Time allowed for a ceremony - Sometimes twenty minutes is too long. Sometimes a double time slot at the end of the day is not enough. That’s one of the things that we’re there for. Getting it all in without feeling rushed; that’s the ticket. And again, some families just want the damn thing over with. “Ten minutes will be fine” they say. Who am I to pad it out with a full rendition of The Glory of the Garden and the whole of The Lark Ascending? I try to talk them through all of the options, but if they want short and sweet, it’s what they’ll have.

7) Untrained/unindoctrinated? - I agree that training helped in the initial stages. It also helps us to give FDs and families some confidence that we do know what we’re doing (otherwise the AOIC would not have spent a lot of time recently promoting their diploma). Of course, there are untrained celebrants who are brilliant, and trained ones who are sh…not. Not sure what the answer is on that one, but glad that I had something to work with and grow from. I guess it’s a bit like learning to drive. Once you’ve passed your test you’re safe to be let out there, but you really learn to drive when you’ve got a few miles under your wheels.

8) How much sorrow? – It’s a difficult one. I sometimes worry that I don’t put people “through the wringer” enough. Ultimately, as Jonathan says, we can’t feel others’ pain or know what they are feeling. My own experiences of grief have been quite private, only really allowing myself to be overwhelmed when alone. Maybe this says more about me than I would like.

8a) How much emotion should we show? I don’t think it matters if we are showing that we are hurting or saddened by the circumstances. But by the same token, we are there (and being paid) to do a job and part of that is to keep control of proceedings. Again, it’s getting the balance right that matters.

9) Public or private event? Sometimes either, sometimes both. It depends where the family members are in their grieving. We have to be able to do all three.

10) Breaking the mask to allow the grief through? – No Gloria, I don’t think that you’re being cowardly or too modest. We are there, as I said above, to conduct a ceremony. We aspire to do that with understanding of all of the above, with the sensitivity that our own personalities and experiences bring, and providing the ceremony that the family wants. We try to assess whether they want something that will have everyone howling with sorrow, crying with laughter or something in between. I admire Rupert’s stance (and would love to attend one of his ceremonies, as I am sure that they are magnificent), but I would wonder if they suit everybody? Some families want the shallow ceremony – who are we to say that we are wrong. Yes, we should always try to do more than they want, to surprise them (in a good way) by adding that something extra that helps them grieve, but we are not there to tell them how to do it.

Reading these blogs have made me feel as though I am a really crap celebrant/officiant/minister (especially after the day I've had), but I'm glad that I can read them as they are making me a better one.

Thank you

3 comments:

gloriamundi said...

Very helpful, XP, thanks. You're obviously not a crap celebrant, but a clear-sighted one wirth well-balanced views. When all the soul-searching and explorations are done, we have to get up there and be part of it all in front of almost perfact strangers. You always seem to keep hold of that perspective for us.

I like the point about giving a sense of control back to the family amidst the turmoil - maybe sometimes they want to simply drop the whole thing onto us, maybe not - that's another of those judgdment calls, I guess.

Excellent point about the length of the ceremony, I've been doing that without realising it. It's the same for how much emotion, public/private, breaking the mask or not: it all depends....

Formulas just don't work.

They never told me, during the training, how much insight into such things we need.

As with you, this debate is certainly helping me develop my work. At a basic level, it's helped me make a few simple decisions. Your point about the term "minister" is excellent, and it fits with the direction this debate is taking. So I'm a humanist minister, that's it.
Also, I'm taking "To Celebrate A Life" off my title pages.I'll help the family to celebrate as much as I feel they want me to, but in some of the funerals I've been involved in, it was just a tag, and not a particularly helpful one.

Upwards and onwards!

X. Piry said...

Thanks, GM.

Interesting your point about what was missing during the training, as I am now a trainer (a subject for a future post).

I will certainly try to bring that in, to in the informal discussions over lunch, if not in the training itself.

Cheers

Charles Cowling said...

It's inexhaustible, isn't it, this perplexing problem of helping people to find and express meaning -- how much they ought to do, how much can be done by empathic strangers. We're all having a right Big Think just now!

When GM first proposed minister I thought, Nah. But now I hear it again I find I really like it. Yes, why on earth not. A religious minister is not just a minister; he/she is a minister of religion. Humanist minister sounds very nice indeed. The others are going to have to put their thinking caps on.

Conversely, there is something increasingly unacceptable about celebrant.