Saturday 1 October 2011

The small things that amuse

It would be comforting to think that everyone has a redeeming feature; some little spot which prevents them from being totally unpleasant. And often, that little spot is a love of animals.

A short while ago, I was conducting the ceremony for a man who had been....difficult. From reading between the lines, he was fairly selfish, inconsiderate, you get the picture. However, he really loved his dogs. He had owned several, supported a number of canine charities and, basically, preferred them to people (a sometimes understandable position).

And so I was asked by his family to focus on this side of his personality. We had poems about dogs, readings about dogs, stories about his dogs. Basically, it was more doggie than Crufts.

All went okay; the family were pleased and there was a nice display of smiles and handshaking afterwards. On my way back to the vestry, to pick up my things, I noticed a collection box for the next ceremony - for the Cats Protection League.

I like to think that there was a bit of a "Cats and Dogs" punch up in the car park.


Aah.... it's the little things.

2 comments:

gloriamundi said...

As long as there's something....
I've heard recently of people taking a dog into the funeral of the owner, because the dog was such a big part of the owner's life. Guess it could help quite a few people at a funeral, to have a dog to fuss.

X. Piry said...

Thank you Gloria - I've had a couple of dogs attending different ceremonies (including one acting as bridesmaid at a wedding). All good fun, but did find it a little too distracting at times.

On another note - I'm having real trouble commenting on your blog - please don't think I'm ignoring you, it seems to be an access problem.