Friday 27 January 2012

When funerals become like French homework

I'm currently taking a little break from writing a funeral. In the name of research, you understand, I'm listening to the music that we'll be playing.

This funeral is for the second member of a family that I've had the honour of dealing with. A few months ago, I conducting a ceremony for a gent. His sister liked the funeral and so I have been selected to do the honours, now that she has died.

In many ways, this is very gratifying - you know you're doing the right thing, if they ask for you again.

Or do you? Is it just familiarity and therefore easy?

Having met the lady's husband, he just wants me to do pretty much the same funeral again; same music, same format.

But do I use the same words? As we give our folks a copy of the words after the ceremony, I want it to be close in tone and concept, but not identical, to emphasise the difference between brother and sister and the creation from scratch of each ceremony. I'm not sure if this is about professional standards, writing something unique for the customer, or my ego, but whatever the motive, the end result is the same.

I am sitting here (the Bach's finished, so I'll get back to the writing in a minute), trying to find new words for the same ideas. As time has passed since the first ceremony, I like to think that I am a little better now and have a slightly stronger phrase here and there.

But, as discussed before, the concepts are the same (the cycle of nature really hasn't changed that much in the last few months).

This is why it's like French homework; I have the actual words and I'm trying to paraphrase them into something better.

Suddenly I feel thirteen again, trying desperately to find a new, innovative (and not the same as Janice Schofield's) way of translating "Ah, voila Jean-Paul, a l'entree du jardin publique....."


Bon chance, mes amis

3 comments:

gloriamundi said...

I guess the longer a successful celebrant works, the more frequently this contradiction emerges. I wonder what answers you found?

I'm interested in the way some commenters talk scornfully of "cut and paste" when they actually mean using some of the same thoughts and similar expressions. I've never cut and pasted a single word (I mean, apart from song titles etc!)but I have used a thought or an expression more than once, because if something is valid or true in January,it is likely to be so in November - but I suppose the knack is to be actually writing it afresh, and then a different format for the thought may emerge?

It is a genuine professional dilemma, and worth thinking through some more, I reckon. Thanks XP.

X. Piry said...

Cheers Gloria,

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts.

Personally, I do have some "cut and paste" sentences or paragraphs, but I use them (I hope) quite carefully, to make sure that they are right for the family involved.

It's one of those things for which there is no answer, I think. But it's the debate that's important, so thanks again.
x

Charles Cowling said...

I can't see any point at all in reworking wording that's polished. Let's hear it for cut and paste!

As to this family (I know this comes much too late!) I think they want to hear the words again - like a song they heard and wanted to hear again.

XP, I seem to have been missing your posts. Sorry. I really enjoy reading you and always look forward!