Saturday 26 January 2008

Busy!

So there I was, thinking that I was going to have to re-write my Grandfather's funeral script for my homework exercise, and it's all gone mad!

Thursday was my second gatecrash, and my first ever burial. It went really well, and lots of people complemented my mentor on the service.

Then on Friday (yesterday) I had my first family visit. I thought that SWMBO had already told them I was coming, but she'd not had the chance, so I did feel that I was "doorstepping" them a bit, but they were terribly nice about it, and made tea and everything.

At the moment the good folks are shocked, fairly angry, and still looking for some answers from the health care professionals, so it wasn't a particularly teary visit, which from a purely selfish point of view was probably a good thing for my first one.

I can understand the frustration of wanting to know answers, but one of the family members said "we just want to know that we did everything that we could." I nodded politely, but wondered about this. In the unlikely event that somebody told them that they could have done more, how will that leave them feeling? Death leaves unanswered questions, and I'm not going to pretend I'm all zen about it, and happy to accept, but the danger with asking questions is in finding the answers. Can you cope with them being what you don't want to hear? Sometimes ignorance is bliss after all.

But anyhoo, I wrote pages of notes, and have spent this afternoon typing my script. It's too long (by at least 500 words), but I'm going to leave it overnight and then edit it down tomorrow, as well as read it aloud to myself (I've already warned DH that this could happen, so that he doesn't think I've gone completely mad) to check the timing.

While I was putting this together this avo, SWMBO rang to say that there was another family meeting on Monday, about 20 miles away from where I live, so for the third day running I'm going to have to leave work early. I'll explain it all to my boss on Monday morning, and I'm sure she'll be okay with it, but my absences are becoming a bit obvious.

Actually, Monday might become interesting for another reason. Friday's are mufti days at our office, and so I wore my jeans to work, but then nipped into the ladies as I left, and changed into a skirt etc. On my way out, one of my colleagues was coming back from lunch. I saw her look my up and down, and I feel that she's a person who likes to know what's going on, and is not averse to being indiscreet in her curiosity. I wonder how many people will think I was going for an interview!

This is the problem with having to keep my flexible hours a bit discreet, otherwise I'd just tell everybody, and that would be it. Still, we'll see what the next few weeks brings!

No comments: