Saturday 19 January 2008

My first gatecrash

I went to the first funeral with my mentor yesterday.

It was a good service - I was very impressed with my mentor's range of quotes and sayings. She's posh anyway, but has clearly benefited from a classical education.

The service went well, I had one moment when I thought I might get a bit choked up (my biggest fear with all of this), but that was watching a brief exchange between a man who'd just delivered a eulogy, and his wife - as an officiant, I would be preparing for the next part, and not notice this.

On a personal level, I felt incredibly self-conscious. As I was all in black, I hoped that I would be mistaken for an employee of the Funeral Director, but it was uncomfortable, feeling that I had no right to be there.

It was a civilised service - there was some weeping, but everyone there seemed to be respecting the dignity of the service.

As for me? I've got a lot of research to do. Google, here I come.

No comments: