Friday 18 January 2008

Swearing - contains strong language

I've been thinking a lot about swearing, which I do far too often (I know, it's not big or clever, but we all need a vent).

Most of my exclamations seem to be of the "for christ's sake!" variety, but I feel that I need to get out of this habit, in my role as a humanist.

However, if I get away from religious swearing, that only leaves sexual references ("oh fuck!", or the C-word that even I baulk at), or bodily functions or parts (shit, arsehole, or my particular favourite - bollocks). These seem somehow stronger (perhaps a sign of how society is moving away from religion, and is therefore less likely to be offended by religious references), and more distasteful.

I know, I know, I should be more socially acceptable (ie, it's not "complete bollocks", it's "utter rubbish", or "oh no" instead of "shit!", but it makes an interesting topic, don't you think?

If the celebrant thing doesn't work out, I think I might see if there's a university somewhere that needs research done on swearing in the English language.

No comments: