Monday 12 May 2008

The downs and ups...

My visit with the funeral director went really well. I was perfectly honest about my lack of experience, but gave an example of my written work, and discussed the training, and we sat chatting for nearly two hours. She was a lovely lady, and I was really grateful for her time.

After that, we had a downward slide. I had a message from SWMBO, asking if I'd heard from a particular FD, as there was a ceremony in the offiing. I hadn't heard, and offered to call them, but SWMBO told me to leave it with her.

Unfortunately the family had decided to go with the local registrars (who are also doing non-religious ceremonies - curse them!), and I began to feel very down in the dumps. Something along the lines of (please imagine a whining voice)

"That's it - I'm never going to get any work. How am I supposed to gain any experience if nobody will give me a chance? I know that's not their problem, but what can I do? All I want is to get that first one under my belt..." This went on for some time.

Again, action is better than inaction, so despite it being a blisteringly hot day, I put on the black suit again, and went delivering leaflets.

First I met Tall Guy, a man I've known a little for many years. He was very receptive, but pointed out an obvious - many people, at the last minute, opt for a religious service, just in case they've been wrong all these years (I believe there's something called "Pascal's Wager" I need to look into).

Then I went to the one who had called my mentor the day before. I was conscious that I was being recommended to them, when they'd not even met me, so I went and pressed some flesh there.

Finally, I went to another that my mentor uses, and with whom I share a mutual friend. The arranger there was a nice guy, who said he'd put me forward for the next humanist ceremony - they don't like to rely too heavily on the same celebrants, so this will be my chance to go on their "rota".

I felt a lot better after those visits than I did before, I can tell ya!

No comments: