Friday 9 July 2010

Should children go to funerals?

Well, as a rule, yes, if you ask me (but few do).

I had a situation recently where I was talking to a mourner who obviously felt "no". She told me that she didn't have anyone to leave her kids with, so they were sitting in the car.

I was a bit concerned as it was a warm day, but I think she left the window open, a couple of bonios and a bowl of water.



On another occasion, some children came along. The daughter of the deceased got up to speak, and was struggling. Each breath seemed to constrict her throat further. She managed to say "sorry!" but not a word of her tribute.

Just as I was trying to reassure her to take her time, a small voice (the lady's nephew) called out "Hurry Uuuuppp!!"

It was a great moment, everyone laughed and the tension was broken. Including in this lady, who was then able to read her tribute without a fault.

Not counting the deceased, this little angel was "man of the match", I reckon.

2 comments:

Rupert Callender said...

Hi XP.
Children at funerals? Yes yes and Yes. Always. Always!

X. Piry said...

Thanks, Rupert. I think so too.

Even the disruptive little....treasures remind everyone that life goes on, and renews itself.

And for the kids themselves, I think it's important, otherwise we perpetuate this feeling of death as a taboo subject.

Thanks for your comment.