Friday 9 July 2010

Get off my land!

If this were an ideal world, Charles, Gloria, Jonathan, Rupert and others would all live in the same town as me. We would meet for coffee every couple of weeks, in a cafe that sold calorie-free cake.

We would all have as much work as we wanted.

And for those of us who are celebrants/ministers/officiants/gobs on sticks, we would know that the following happened – when a funeral director meets a family, they would spend a lot of time, asking the family what they wanted, and letting know all of the options available (including the things that they don’t “have” to have). If the family has said that they want an officiant, the FD would then go away and think long and hard to get the best match from their extensive list of ministers. They would think about the family that they have met and the personality of their ministers and would put together those that will work well together and will produce the best possible funeral; a triumph, a memorable occasion which enables the family to move on with their grief in the best way possible to them.

I don’t live in an ideal world. I live in a place that we shall call Seatown. I am also about fifteen miles from Coastville, and about twenty-five miles from Poshbourne. We have an established celebrant in the latter, but I’m sometimes called upon for holiday cover.

My esteemed mentor (She who must be obeyed) used to live in Coastville, but has moved to pastures new in another part of the country. I miss her guidance and her humour but it is honest to say that I am very grateful for her workload.

And this is because FDs are busy people, who do not go through their list of celebrants like a casting director, and think about who best will match their family. My experience suggests that the thought process is more along the lines of:

What sort of minister?
Non-religious.
Is that the same as humanist?
Close enough.
Who did we use last time?
X.Piry.
She any good?
No complaints.
Okay. What’s her number?


And that’s on a good day.

Now, I am probably doing many FDs a lot of disservice. But I think there’s a lot in the “who did we use last time” argument. Unless there’s a reason to use someone different (such as a specific request, or wanting a man, rather than a woman, etc) then it’s sound. It’s a bit like when you have a complaint with the gas board, and you know that someone called Angela was helpful. You will go back to Angela, because she did what you wanted her to do and kept you informed, and listened to you....

Now, the BHA would be happy to train a lot of celebrants who live in Seatown, Coastville, Poshbourne and anywhere else that good candidates apply. There is some evidence to back up the argument that having more celebrants on the ground does increase ceremony numbers.

Fine – but does it increase it enough? Conducting ceremonies (not just funerals) is my main source of income. Therefore, I have an average number per week/month/year that I would like to conduct to pay the bills and feed my chocolate habit.

If someone new trained in Poshbourne, then I would not get any holiday cover work there.
The other problem that I have is that currently, in Seatown, I cannot seem to get any work. To my knowledge, I have neither messed up or upset anyone, but there is a strong presence from the civil celebrants and a very good independent celebrant who is well known in the town. There are one or two FDs who have me at the top of their “godless” list, but this is not a very godless place, so between the competition and the retired vicars, I would be letting Cadbury go out of business, if I was only reliant on Seatown.

Coastville, however, treats me well. It keeps me busy and I am grateful. So how would I feel if someone from Coastville wanted to train there?

Panicky would be an obvious reaction (please don’t make me go back to office work, anything, but that, guv). After all, although I feel fairly established in Coastville, I work hard to produce good ceremonies, and to make myself easy to work with for the FDs, would someone on the doorstep be a more attractive proposition for them?

The BHA might feel that I have Seatown to work with, but I refer you to my comments above.So, if the BHA trained up someone on the way to Poshbourne and someone in Coastville, I would by right up effluent creek and lacking a method of propulsion.

And this is why local celebrants resist the training of new celebrants. It feels like a constant matter of tension. But what are the options?

If we don’t train a good candidate – what will they do? They may wait (I did), but for how long? Alternatively, unless they are dyed in the wool humanists (a rare breed) then they can simply train with another organisation or simply start out on their own. Thus, they become the competition.

If we do train a good candidate – what will I do? Have a huff moment and give up my BHA accreditation? And then what – be an independent celebrant with a lot of experience (and relationships with FDs), but the new BHA celebrant will still be there and will be my competition. There are pros and cons to being a BHA celebrant, and there are pros and cons to being independent, so neither has an absolute advantage.

So what do we do? Most people want to become celebrants because they have been to an inspiring ceremony. Good celebrants make a ceremony look easy. The recruitment process should be tough and hard to get through (I believe that it is, we are very careful who we train), but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t thousands of people out there who would make good celebrants.

If we recruit them all, we would have a huge network of quality people. And we would have some who would have to leave because they can no longer get enough work to sustain their lifestyles (I know of at least one colleague in the last year who has done this, in an area with a lot of independent competition).

No celebrants are in this for the money, but for those of us who have chosen (and yes, it is our choice, I accept that) to make this an almost full time career, then we need to have regular numbers of ceremonies.

There are some celebrants who don’t want to do a huge volume of funerals. I met a chap a couple of years ago who told me that he didn’t have the “emotional hardware” for more than one a fortnight. That’s fair enough and people like him are great for cover, etc. It’s also one of those professions where you don’t actually know what you’ll be able to cope with until you’re doing it and can see what it’s doing to you.

There is room in the network for celebrants with all sorts of workload requirements. The difficulty is getting the balance right.

I’ve really rambled on enough for now, and so I’d like to throw this open to anyone who’d like to share an opinion.

What do you guys think?

6 comments:

gloriamundi said...

I think "right on, sister," as we used to sday in 1968 - but this is a really useful post, so I'll come back to it and try to say something sensible, soon. Just now, I've got to sort out my "emotional hardware" for a ceremony.
You are a voice of clarity in a world full of bullshit, XP

gloriamundi said...

Me again, I'm afraid.

You've nailed the whole issue, XP. There's a permanent tension in the situation, because there are too many variables (independents, FD's opinions and working methods, and the insolent tendency of the Grim Reaper to call just when he bloody well chooses...)It's very tricky to balance income need with an open attitude - in fact, it's impossible.

Central to this is your reading of FD's working methods. Spot on, I'd say. I know one only around here who might have the luxury of thinking carefully which of us might do best for a particular family.

The relationship between the FD and the minister is what generates the work, for perfectly sound reasons, as you point out. The relationship I refer to is not to do with chocs at Christmas or whatever we're supposed to call it, it's the relationship that comes from an FD seeing that I'm not completely useless at this, turn up when I'm supposed to, don't look too scruffy, etc.

A little case-study for you. When I finished my training, I found out that a well-experienced colleague had occasionally worked round here, but mostly he'd worked at his other place, about 80-100 miles away.

So I set to as instructed and told many FDs about myself. Only some of them fell for my charms (no accounting for taste)and I fairly soon became as busy as I want to be.

Colleague then decides he is going to move here full-time, and complains bitterly that I have "cornered the market.") He thinks I should hand over to him all the FDs and funerals that are nearer to him than me - even without his trying to get to know them.

I have pointed out that they do now know about him (me it was who wrote to them all with all the contact details of all of us within 80 miles or so, to try and encourage choice, get my colleague off my back, etc.) I also invited him to contact all the FDs in the area I hadn't been in direct touch with or worked for.

He didn't. He seems to think that because he was here first, albeit unkown to most FDs, that I should bow out of the busiest part of the area, and only work in an area about one-third as busy.

My attitude has hardened rather. Had he been more reasonable and marketed himself, then I might feel bad about it.

What has all this to do with the quality of our service to the dead and grieving? Zero. What has it got to do with the supply of humanist ministers? Everything. He now says he will pull out of the BHA set-up and go independent. He should read your words above.

I'm lucky, I'm retired, I don't have to have the income, though I certainly use it, and not just on Chateau-Neuf (Villages, in these straitened times...)

But you - you should take heart, XP. The implication of my tale is that since you obviously have a good working relation ship (i.e. you do a good job) with "your" FDs, and for all the reasons you give, a newly-trained humanist minister (OK,celebloodybrant)would find it very hard to break in unless you let him/her.

My "colleague" is in your position, I was in the position of the newly-trained fresher, BUT - he hadn't been in touch with FDs and had done little enough work. That almost put him in the position, some months later, of a newly-arrived celebrant trying to break in.

I suppose I can feel a bit sorry about it all, after a second glass of the aforementioned.

But - I like earning a few bob, I really love the interesting, emotionally powerful and satisfying job I do, and "my" FDs seem happy with it.I'm going to hang on to them, and I bet you do the same. If I pass on to a colleague funerals that I've been asked to do, it's my shout, no-one else's. Bet you're the same, and that's as it should be, given the instability of the whole situation.

I'd rather live in the town you describe - what fun that would be. Butnone of us do. Incidentally, I'm OK with the caloried cake, thanks...

X. Piry said...

Thanks for responding, Gloria, and for your kind words.

I was anxious about putting this post out, but I'm glad that someone else feels that we have an ongoing situation which is not easily resolved.

In the case of your case study, I'd say let the little darling go independent if he's having a huff. If he can't be bothered to go and meet the FDs and let them know that he is available, how are they supposed to know about him, let alone give him any ceremonies? He's not likely to be much competition if he feels that he doesn't have to work for his work. You have done more than enough to let folks know that he's there.

Perhaps you could offer to go visiting FDs together with him? It's a risk, but he sounds such a charmer that I think this will show you in an even better light.

Thanks again, and keep smiling.

gloriamundi said...

XP, just a thought - maybe the reason why humanists are sometimes a quarrelsome lot (income pressures aside, for the moment)is because we often still define ourselves in opposition.Some celebrinisters even get a bit of this into their ceremonies ("GM didn't need a religion to guide her though life, and so.." which is really a polite way of saying yahboo to God and being a bit superior about it, as opposed to simply saying "GM didn't want a religious ceremony, and so..")

I say nothing, literally nothing, direct about humanism in my ceremonies, other than identifying my provenance, but I look to bring out a humanist message in some general introductory comments, committal and conclusion - if that seems right for the family.

Those humanist views are about the transformational process under discussion on Charles' recent post about embalming, and your excellent comment.

Even in some BHA material (I don't mean the buses) there is, it seems to me, an odd emphasis on being free of the shackles., etc. This may be fine at the campaigning level, but what's it got to do with helping bereaved people?

I think maybe some humanists can appear negative and even hostile nowadays because deep down they may only have their opposition to God&Co as their fuel, nothing more positive, nothing more, erm, well . . ."spiritual," if only we can redefine that word to exclude ectoplasm and spooks," or find a new word.

Just a thought.

X. Piry said...

Hi Gloria,

You speak truth.

I tend to do some of the things you question "Bert believed in leading a good life without recourse to conventional religious beliefs....." and then a bit about humanism.

I tend to put this in by way of explaining to those present what we're doing and why but I agree that we must do this in positive terms "humanists think that..." rather than "we don't want no gods round here".

But as I have a very low view of how many of my words are actually listened to, especially at the beginning of the ceremony (when I tend to say this stuff), I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for your comment - much appreciated.

Charles Cowling said...

Hey, all very interesting! It's a great shame to see the insecurity and paranoia that characterise so many FDs should spread to celebrants -- but that's the way it is. Oversupply.

I think there are two great virtues of competition. It stimulates greater effort and gets rid of the worst. From the consumer point of view it serves their needs very well -- so long as FDs don't suppress competition on dead-man's-shoes principles.

Is there a living in being a celebminister? I just don't know. It depends on area and also price. I think it works well with portfolio working but may be too undependable to be relied on.

My symps, though, bigtime. But I think there must be consolation in the consideration that secular funerals are going to become more and more numerous.

'Tis, in your line of work, but a thin line between feast and famine -- starvation and more that you can possibly cope with.

How about a spot of baby-naming? I loved that!

Be confident in your quality and your reputation. Hard won. Track record. Can't be beat.