Wednesday 21 July 2010

Get off my land - update

Thanks to Gloria and Charles for their comments on my earlier post.

I was working in Coastville last week with an FD who is based in a small place between there and Seatown.

"So, lovely Mr FD", I asked, "Why can't I get any work in Seatown?"

His answer was, plain and simply, the competition.

There are some independents (mostly former registrars from what he was saying) and FDs will give them a chance. Fair enough, they did the same for me a couple of years ago.

I was almost relieved with his answer - I was beginning to suffer from the "oh no, what have I done to upset everyone?" paranoia common to many in this game.

So, I need to make sure that I remind the Seatown FDs of my existence, and smile my sweetest smile when I visit, hoping that my card goes on the top of the pile for a while.

My big fear is that the hordes of competition move into Coastville - then I am snookered.

Charles asked whether or not being a celebminister is a viable way to earn a living. Possibly not, but here's the rub. To be a celebminister, you have to be available. Very few FDs ring up and ask "When are you free?" before making their bookings - we are too far down the food chain for that. And if we're not free, somebody else will be.

This level of availability is not always easy, if you're doing other work. I was very lucky that I was allowed a form of flexi-time, but this is not available, or practical, for everyone.

I do also do namings and weddings (in the midst of death, we are in life...) and a few other (very minor) bits and pieces, so I'n not entirely reliant on the dead. But I would be in shtuck if I had no funerals at all.

Still, the fear is one of the things that makes us do our best, go the extra mile and try to make that ceremony exceed expectations. It's a hunger that I don't want to lose.

2 comments:

Charles Cowling said...

Good point about availability. You come after the crem booking. No way back from that.

These ex-registrars are becoming a bit of a, er, pest.

It's boring about the Buggins' turn system your FDs operate. But there has to be reassurance in that? You've got your foot in the door.

The mere fact that you worry about it all speaks volumes about your commitment to doing a best-possible job. That's got to work for you. So many minibrants get very complacent very early.

I wonder what the burnout rate is? A good friend has just packed it in after 5 years of superb work.

You hang on in there, XP. You are worthy your hire!

gloriamundi said...

H'm. Burnout. The man's got a point, XP. My conundrum is: we have to have some empathy, some feelings that put us inside their circle of grief, albeit right out on the boundary and not for long - because if we are just watching from the pavilion, will it mean much to the people? Would I be able to believe my own voice?

I claim no self-righteous uniqueness when I say I can't stay in the pavilion. yet this is - not depressing, but sort of wearying,if it's too busy a month, no?

I think this wobbly sort of balance must be how it is for me, because a week or ten days without a funeral feels like a nice break, which I very much enjoy, and yet it feels positive (for me) when I am called to work on the next one. Whereas a funeral Monday and on Thursday, and a phone call on Friday is a very different feeling.

It's a strange business.